Friday, January 16, 2009

My Chair

When we moved into this house 2 years ago I was determined to have my own “space” where I could retreat---physically, emotionally and spiritually. I go here for coffee, contemplation, quiet time, reading, and occasionally I'll relinquish it to favored children.


I am very thankful for this small space and the beauty and comfort it provides. It suits me aesthetically and was created economically---two “musts” for me. The club chair and ottoman were hand-me-downs which I recovered with clearance fabric. Inexpensive, but fabulous velvet and linen pillow from Wal mart...yes, Wal Mart!. The “antique” tole shelves began their life as white bookshelves in my boy's nursery-- I painted them black, added a gold leaf design and scratched them up a bit. I made the curtains from toile fabric found on the $1.00 per yard table at...yes, Wal Mart! They are lined with a pale blue found on the same table. The best part is the window that provides incredible light and and ever changing views of our backyard and the creek.


The battered and crusty tiered table was found at a second hand store. For 11 months it holds all my current reading material, but in December it moves into my son's room where it is transformed into a snowy Christmas village. (Sorry for the blurry photo!)

3 comments:

Just His Best said...

I'm dying for a reading corner like that. I've been looking for that "perfect" chair to snuggle down with the kids to do readalouds and to cozy up with some of my favorite books. I FINALLY found it at a consignment sale yesterday for $75! I nestled down into it, snuggled all the kids around me for a test drive and knew this was "it". I was so excited until I realized that the sale tag was missing and I was told someone had beat me to it by 12 minutes!! Aaagh! Oh well, the search continues...

Kat said...

That is so disappointing...but the SEARCH is half (maybe more) the fun of having it! I'll keep an eye out for one for you.

Angela McRae said...

I have wanted a table like this for-ev-er! Lucky you to have such a great piece in your lovely reading nook!