Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Planting Whiskey Barrels

We have this wonderful carport attached to our home---wonderful I say because of the many uses it has: dumping ground for camping equipment, golf clubs, bicycles, skateboards, a place to play when it's raining, storing gardening equipment and on and on (but not for cars, of course!). Most importantly it serves as an entertaining space. We hang our outdoor awnings (painter's canvas drop cloth), clean up the mess, add some tables with pretty linens and voila---an outdoor dinning area. So... because we use this for entertaining and because EVERYONE enters our home through the carport, I wanted some big containers filled with flowers to make it more welcoming. We purchased 3 whiskey barrels-large and inexpensive. Here you see them planted with sweet potato vine, black eyed Susans, and daisies for a Golden Anniversary party.

In the fall I realized I really wanted something a little more permanent in the barrels--not wanting to change everything seasonally. Initially I thought about some type of evergreen topiary, but I needed three and they can be quite pricey. Finally I decided on an ornamental peach tree. Perfect---height, fall color, spring flowers, attractive summer foliage and peaches for a Georgia peach!

Variegated ivy, pansies, mustard and kale were arranged underneath. Next summer I could leave the trees and ivy and plant some annuals or perennials.

And hidden under it all some parrot tulips to surprise us in the spring.

Here are the barrels in January after they have filled out a bit.

Look for a profusion of pale pink buds and ruffly salmon-colored tulips in the spring.

1 comment:

Angela McRae said...

Oh, this makes me want to go plant something! I bought a Christmas Cactus (75 percent off) at Publix yesterday after seeing yours on the blog!