Saturday, January 16, 2010

Blessed to be a blessing.

Yesterday, I wept for the Haitian people.
 It was this photo from my morning edition
 of the Augusta Chronicle that did it.
 I was riveted by this child's eyes---
they are locked on his mother's face.



I know that look.
 I have seen it in my own children's eyes
in times of extreme fear.
 But thankfully, it has never been from the fear
of the world collapsing around them.
And I thought of the many children searching
for mothers and the many mothers searching for children.
 The verse from Matthew 2:18
(which quotes the verse in Jeremiah)
came immediately to mind:
"A voice is heard in Ramah,
weeping and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children
and refusing to be comforted,
because they are no more.”

Today I am asking what can we do? We can pray. Prayer transcends time and space. James tells us “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” And we can give. If you feel called to help monetarily here are some organizations recommended by our church that will use your donation responsibly for the Haitian people:

No comments: