Friday, January 23, 2009

Eating Seasonally


Usually around this time of year I receive a box or bag of grapefruit from my Father and his wife who live in Florida and have a hundred year old grapefruit tree in their backyard. They are the sweetest, juiciest, freshest and most beautiful citrus I have ever tasted.

The natural abundance of the seasons seems so logical as a way of eating—it is difficult to believe we, as a culture, have ever gotten away from this. What is better than.... a deep scarlet tomato surrounded by the jade and verdigris of summer, a juicy claret colored pear plucked from copper and sepia leaves, bright jade and saffron citrus against the ashen January sky, and crisp, pungent early emerald lettuces amidst the spring blossoms? It seems eating local, seasonal produce not only tastes better and is better for us, it is a better choice economically and environmentally.

And so I am determined to be a better steward by taking steps to put food on our table that is seasonal and local. The first steps in this process (and it is a process!) have been locating local sources for meat, dairy, and produce, planning a larger garden, and learning how to “put up”.

2 comments:

Just His Best said...

I agree! Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? It's about her journey to eat locally for one year. Sadly, she she's an evolutionist and brings it up frequently. I was amazed at how she could look at all of God's bounty and still deny his beauty and creation. Still, an interesting read.

I do have tons of questions for you though. I had my first garden last year and am taking baby steps to change how we live. We'll have to get together soon so I can pick your brain on a few things.

Kat said...

No I haven't read her book--it sounds interesting. I'd love to talk...