Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Little Black Dress

.
About a year ago I realized my dinnerware wardrobe needed some updating. My beloved blue and white dishes had dwindled down to a few chipped and mismatched plates. I was ready for a blank canvas---at a great price. I kept my eyes open for several months and finally happened upon some white dishes at my local Food Lion...$1.00 apiece. At that price I was able to buy 24, then found bowls at the thrift store for 25 cents each. Over the months I have gradually added to my set of Whites. Why White?

White dinnerware and pottery is the Little Black Dress of the kitchen. Like the quintessential cocktail dress it can be paired with ”pearls” and become fabulous for a formal dinner. Mix it up with flats and a Pucci scarf and you have the perfect casual for everyday. White easily consorts with all levels of society from Saturday thrift store shopping finds to antique English Ironstone received as a thoughtful wedding gift.


This adorable heart shaped ramekin is the perfect example of how versatile White is...individual portions of: baked macaroni and cheese, corn pudding, creme brulee, instant chocolate pudding or homemade chocolate mousse, asparagus souffle, m and m's, oatmeal, french onion soup, need I go on?. And the best part about this newest addition to my collection is the price...$1.00 each at Michael's!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey katherine
my name karen hills i love your stuff and photos

Anonymous said...

Wow. Katherine, my favorite is white as well. It allows you to focus on the food, not be distracted by the colors or patterns in the dish. It's clean and simple and can be dressed up or down. Love it!!